Saturday, July 23

FB Break

I did it.
I finally did it. 
After a ridiculous amount of time always thinking about it.
After feeling really convicted to do it on multiple occasions.
After being encouraged and inspired by seeing other people do it.
After hearing Jesus tell me I should do it.
I did it.
I suspended my Facebook account.
I decided to take this week off and see how it goes.
See what I can accomplish.
What God can teach me.
Show me.
How He can use me.
I'm already up a couple extra loads of laundry, a couple real life phone calls, some good play time with my kiddos and a lovely morning garage sale with Hubby.
I know it sounds silly, but sometimes, okay a LOT of the time, Facebook (and other things too) get in my way.
Well, maybe they get in God's way.
Maybe I let them get in God's way.

I always find myself meandering over to check FB whenever there's a little lull in my day. What if I replaced each of those check-in's with something as simple as taking a picture. Or reading a story to my kids. Or dusting something. Or folding some more laundry. Or mending something in my huge heap of "to-mend." Or...what if I took it a step further and called someone just to see how they were doing? Or if, during each of those little lulls in my day I sat down and jotted a little note to say hello to someone and dropped it in the mail? Okay...now a few steps deeper...what if during those two and three minute lulls, instead of checking FB, I closed my eyes and prayed for someone? What if I prayed for Hubby? Wow...I wonder what I could do with all those little tiny lulls? Actually I wonder what GOD could do with all those lulls?

I always find myself explaining away FB...yes it really DOES have advantages and values. That's why I don't know yet if this break will be just this week or more. But in the back of my mind while I'm explaining that sometimes when I have five minutes of quiet time, I want to just sit and do something mindless...check and see how everyone's doing, tag a photo, comment on a status, something for ME. It's my "me-time." But so is blogging. And so are girls' nights. And so is reading. And so are the phone calls with a couple close friends. really, how much "me-time" do I need? I wonder if Jesus ever put his hands up and said "You know what God, Disciples, folks waiting for miracles, I need five minutes. I need a little 'ME-time.'" 
HA! It sounds a little ridiculous.
He did take breaks from the crowds...he did go off by himself and ask everyone to give Him a minute, but it wasn't for ME-time. It wasn't mindless. It was time He spent in earnest communion with His Father. 

UGH...why do I struggle so hard with this? I constantly say I want to be more like HIM, but when it comes to these little things I find myself justifying in ways... "Well, Jesus was frickin' perfect. OF COURSE He didn't need "me-time." I, on the other hand am just a human...and He knows that. He doesn't expect me to be able to go all day without a break." 

Well no, of course He doesn't...but does He expect me to turn to HIM when I need a break...a pick-me-up, a refresher? If I'm being as honest as I know how, yes, probably. 

"Well Jesus and God had a lot to discuss...after all Jesus was about to die for all of humanity. I'm just talking dishes and diapers here. How much can I possibly run to GOD about?"

Incredibly, I think He cares about dishes and diapers! The same way I care about the dumb little dollar tree doll's arm that broke and I fixed right away. I always seem to forget I am His Daughter!! The apple of His eye! He is dying, literally dying, to spend time with me! To commune with me! He wants to know my heart...well, He knows it, but He wants me to share it with Him and to know His. I am so far depraved it's a joke. And yet still, He begs me to come and just sit at His feet and BE with Him. The way I plead with my babies to cuddle just a minute more.

How could I so mindlessly just put my hand up and tell GOD, Father, Jesus, Savior..."I'll be with you in just one more second...let me just check this one last thing..."

I am trying desperately to live more intentionally. I want to be in each moment and know that I am in each moment. To savor it, to appreciate it. I want the things I do to be done with a purpose...hopefully an eternal one, more often than not. It's not easy, and with the mounds of distractions around me, it's even more difficult. I am an easily distracted person. 

So I have felt called to suspend FB for a week. I just want to see how it goes and see how I feel and what I feel from God at the end of the week. I don't think that FB is wrong and definitely not everyone needs to delete their account. But it is something to think about, at least for me. So pray for me this week and wish me luck! ;)


2 comments:

  1. Okay, really super good post. It flowed effortlessly! That's how you know it was God inspired.

    As you know, I love your heart. And i can say with out a shadow of a doubt you will meet God face to face through this obedient response to his call.... it's a promise (from Him).

    So excited for you... journal journal and read read and pray pray and you will see miraculous works.

    Don't forget nothing is coincidence!

    Love you so, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Debran!
    I do not have a fb account, and I have had so many conversations with myself lately about should I or shouldn't I, and if I do, do I make rules about using it? Or just know my limits?
    And then I hear of things people do on fb, like write a message on someone's wall that can be made private so only certain people can not see it. Shady. I don't like that. I don't tink God likes that. And it's things like that that turn me off about fb. SO I totally understand your struggles with it too. Good luck to you in your decision making about it. Maybe just taking a break here and there is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...